increasing

  1. F

    Solve Interest Rate Increasing Annuity

    The following formula gives the initial payment for an increasing annuity (see: https://financeformulas.net/Growing-Annuity-Payment.html): P=V * (r-g)/(1-((1+g)/(1+r))^n) I need help solving for r. Can anybody help? Thanks
  2. L

    Weakly increasing squences

    What is the reason for part iii ? Or how can it be explained ? Thanks.
  3. L

    Expand in increasing powers of y-1: (1+3y-1)3

    Hello :) I am stuck on this question, if anyone has any ideas that would be awesome: Expand in increasing powers of y-1: (1+3y-1)3 Thank you!! Louise
  4. Y

    Sketch a function that is increasing, decreasing, and range provided.

    I am having a hard time going backwards for some reason when I am given the points and range. The question says: Sketch a function that is increasing on (-4,8), decreasing on (-7,-4) and has a range of [-2,5]. I made some points on the graph, but I am really lost on how my graph will look...
  5. T

    Increasing function check

    Hi guys, I seem to be on here a lot lately, the reason for this is that we get given a load of worksheets and then we only get marked on a selected number of question so we don't get all the solutions. Anyway here is my question: Is this the right way of answering this type of question...
  6. A

    prove a rational function being increasing

    Stuck in a "dumb" question for too long, and hence request for help. How can I prove (using the derivative as I presume) that \frac{x^a-1}{x^b-1} is a function increasing in x, when x>1 and a>b>0. Many thanks.
  7. J

    Help:to prove increasing function

    I am stuck on figuring out why the following function is an increasing function when I read a paper. The function is the following: $f(x)=\dfrac{(x-1)\cdot c^x-2x\cdot c^{x-1}\,\,+x+1}{2^x-x-1}$, where $1<c<2$, and the independent variable x is on interval $(2,+\infty)$, i.e. $2<x<+\infty$. I...
  8. J

    How to prove the following function is increasing function?

    Can you help me improve the following function f(x) is an increasing function? f(x) = [(x-1)*c^x-2*x*c^{x-1}+x+1]/(2^x-x-1), where the parameter 1<c<2, and the independent variable is on interval (0.5,1).
  9. E

    Increasing Variable Question

    Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm currently trying to solve an equation. If I have the following info: Customers: 10 Total Revenue: \$200 Revenue Per Customer: \$20 I want to increase my total revenue by \$100 and the increase will be gotten by 50% of revenue increase and 50% of...
  10. I

    Find the interval where function is increasing or decreasing

    So this is supposed to be basic problem. I can't find help anywhere online since they want to show if its increasing or decreasing based on a graph. The problem I'm now doesn't have a graph. It just gives me the function f(x)=3x+5. The derivative is just 3. With this information how do I know if...
  11. B

    increasing function

    i dont understand the question. could some one explain me this. I am messing up with "in each interval" ?.Thank you
  12. C

    Increasing probability can averages

    I have never been good with probability in math so I am going to ask one of you smart people to help me with a formula. Let's say I will make 100 dollars on Monday, 75 on Tuesday, 50 on Wednesday, and 25 on Thursday. There is a 10% chance every day that no money is made. On the day that...
  13. I

    Calculating increasing risk factors

    Hi I am in the middle of some medical research and need a bit of help. If an event has a 0.3 or 30% chance of occurring what is the chance of it occurring if a second event increases that risk by a factor of 7. Another would be a probability of 70% of an event occurring and then apply a 2 x...
  14. M

    How does increasing the hypotenuse of a right triangle affect the area?

    If you increase the hypotenuse of a right triangle by n units, and all else remains the same, e.g. the angles of the right triangle, how much will the area of the new triangle increase in terms of n? Please prove your answer. The way I addressed it is if the sides of the triangle will both...
  15. M

    Discriminating between non-decreasing and increasing series

    Hello all! I asked a similar question to this before and was told that a_n+1> a_n is increasing and a_n+1 >= a_n is nondecreasing Knowing this information, let me ask another question. I was curious to know why a_n (4-1/n) is an increasing function, whereas a_n (9n +10)/(n+1) is merely...
  16. M

    Nondecreasing versus Increasing Monotonic Sequences?

    Hello all my fellow math heads, I am working on a problem which I solved to determine if the sequence is monotonic and it is bounded. I know it is bounded, and that it nondecreasing. However, the answer says that the sequence is increasing. From logic, is it proper to say that a nondecreasing...
  17. J

    Monotonically increasing function

    I have the following function f=\frac{B}{y^{3}}+\frac{C}{y^{4}}\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid where B and C are constants and where y is a monotonically decreasing function of x (\mid\frac{dy}{dx}\mid stands for absolute value of derivative). According to my model, all signs indicate that f is a...
  18. W

    Increasing sequence of an isometry compositions

    Let f: [0,1] \rightarrow [0,1] be an isometry in a metric space ([0,1], d_{Eucl}). Suppose f(0)=0, \ \ \ x\in [0,1] Could you explain to me why the sequence (f^n(x))_{n\geq1} is monotone and why does it converge with respect to the usual topology of [0,1] and also with respect to d and, in...
  19. B

    Increasing Annuity

    Hi!! I need help with these textbook problems... 1. Kirsten sets up an investment plan based on variable interest rates with her bank. She contributes $50 every month for 10 years. Interest rates are compounded monthly. During the first 4 years the bank pays 4% interest per annum, while for the...
  20. E

    f ? c((a,b)) and limsup (?f/?x) ? 0 imply f increasing?

    Prove or disprove: If f is continuous in \; (a, b) \; and \; \overline{\lim_{t \to x}} \frac{f(t) - f(x)}{t - x} \ge 0 \; for all x \in (a, b) Then f is monotonically increasing.