Battery potential understanding

Aug 2017
India
I want to understand a battery creating potential in similar terms of gravitational field analogy. Is it possible? I am doing this to simplify concept of battery potential. I am not sure whether I am clear in my question.

Aug 2019
India
Yes, you are a little unclear when you say battery potential. But I think I know what you mean, so let me try to explain it.

Inside the battery there is a process going on which forces the electrons (or any other negatively charged species) to one side and the positively charged things to the other side. A very simple battery does this by redox reaction. Since, now we have oppositely charged species separated by a distance therefore there develops an Electric Field going from positive side to negative side.

The definition of the potential says "amount of work done to move a unit charge from one place to another" , in mathematical terms we can write it as \(\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{dl}\) . Since, we have understood how the electric field was created, so from there it follows that a potential has been created.

As far as analogy with gravity is concerned, you can view it as charged things have tendency to FALL from positive side to negative side, due to lower potential on the negative side.