Calculus 1: pulse of light traveling from the sun to the earth

Oct 2018
arizona
Question: "Approximately how many minutes will it take a pulse of light to travel from the sun to the earth? (Do not perform any intermediate calculations, and do not round your answer.)"

I have no clue how to answer this question. I know how to solve the problem. time is distance divided by rate, I can simply search up the distance between the sun and earth in terms of kilometers, then divide it by the speed of light in terms of kilometers. But my answer was not accepted. I'm asked to use the unit conversions in my text, but I'm not sure how to make use of it. Here is the table of conversions I'm supposed to use

Attachments

Apr 2014
UK
I'm intrigued as to what answer is accepted and how they got it, because there isn't enough information provided.

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
Question: "Approximately how many minutes will it take a pulse of light to travel from the sun to the earth? (Do not perform any intermediate calculations, and do not round your answer.)"
used this reference for the mean distance of an astronomical unit ...
\(\displaystyle (149,597,871 \text{ km}) \cdot \left(\dfrac{1 \text{ sec}}{299,752.5 \text{ km}} \right) \cdot \left(\dfrac{1 \text{ min}}{60 \text{ sec}}\right) = 8.317855064 \text{ min}\)​

Reactions: topsquark
Apr 2014
UK
Clearly not, Skeeter provided his reference :)