Equation/method to get number that's closest to and higher than a target number

Mar 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi to all,

Should be straight forward.

Lets say I have a figure, 0.13.

Suppose I have a target number, 1.

I want to arrive to at the number that's closest to and higher than the target number (1 in this example). If I multiply 0.13 by 8, I get 1.04 which satisfies the condition (closest to and above the target number).

However, is there any equation or method I can use to arrive at 1.04 without me knowing beforehand that multiplying 0.13 by 8 gives us 1.04?

More importantly, is it possible to write said equation as syntax? I basically want this to try and streamline a code which involves increasing an animation's frames by its speed, and subsequently trigger an action once a certain frame was reached. The animation would play frame 0 while the the image index (the counter to check which frame was being played) would increment by the image speed (0.13 in our example). So between image index 0 and 0.99, the first frame would play, between index 1 and 1.99, the second frame would play etc. Right now I have to calculate manually in my head or by using a calculator, the precise value for the intended frame in which the action would trigger (no ranges are allowed). Was wondering if the math could allow for streamlining the checking.

Thanks!

romsek

Math Team
Sep 2015
USA
$\text{Let's represent your 0.13 by $b$ and your target by $T$, and the factor you want to compute by $k$}\\
\text{So $(k-1)b < T < kb$}\\
k = \left \lfloor \dfrac{T}{b}\right \rfloor+1\\
\text{Where $\lfloor x \rfloor$ is the largest integer less than or equal to $x$}\\
\text{This is a commonly supplied function in programming languages and is usually called Floor(x)}
$

Mar 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
Thank you for the reply @romsek .

Forgive my ignorance, but if I plug-in in the values for T and b in that function, I am not able to arrive at the expected value (1.04 or 8).

Is there some other way to get either value?

romsek

Math Team
Sep 2015
USA
Thank you for the reply @romsek .

Forgive my ignorance, but if I plug-in in the values for T and b in that function, I am not able to arrive at the expected value (1.04 or 8).

Is there some other way to get either value?
$\left \lfloor \dfrac{1}{0.13}\right \rfloor +1 = 7+1 = 8$

$8 \cdot 0.13 = 1.04$

I don't see what the problem is.

Mar 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
Apologies, the figure I got was 7.69 + 1 = 8.69

8.69 * 0.13 = 1.13

Forgot about the flooring effect.

Last edited: