First time thread! V=4/3 . PI . R^3 Rewrite as R=....

Apr 2014
Holland
Hello Peeps, this is my first time posting. My name is Kees I'm 23 years old and Im from Holland.

I am a carpenter atm but will start my education to be a construction supervisor which will take 4 years.

Recently I started taking math classes and just got my fist grade 7.4! (out of 10) So I was happy since I never had math before.

Anyways, Now I am at chapter 9 of my book and I frequently get asked to do formulas like;

V=4/3 . PI . R^3

Rewrite as R

Now since I am taking a speed course, my teacher doesn't really have the time to go step by step to solve the problem.

I was hoping somebody could help me with this.

Kind regards, Kees.

Jul 2010
St. Augustine, FL., U.S.A.'s oldest city
Hello and welcome to MMF, Kees! :D

We are given the formula for the volume$V$ of a sphere in terms of its radius $r$:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

And we are asked to solve for $r$. The first thing we want to do is multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4\pi}\) so that we just have $r^3$ on the right sides:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4\pi}\cdot V=\frac{3}{4\pi}\cdot\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

Divide out the common factors on the right and arrange as:

\(\displaystyle r^3=\frac{3V}{4\pi}\)

Next, we want to take the cube root of both sides so that we just have $r$ on the left:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{r^3}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{4\pi}}\)

\(\displaystyle r=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{4\pi}}\)

This will allow us to determine the radius of a sphere if given the volume. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Apr 2014
Holland
Edit.... I GOT IT! Because dividing 4/3pi by 3/4pi makes them cancel out! MANNNN O MANN!! Thanks BRO! I love you.

Jul 2010
St. Augustine, FL., U.S.A.'s oldest city
Man I actually think I get it. You divide by \(\displaystyle 3/4PI\) because \(\displaystyle 4/3 times pi\) is \(\displaystyle 4pi/3\) right? I mean that 3/4pi is the opposite right?
Yes, $r^3$ originally has the coefficient of \(\displaystyle \frac{4\pi}{3}\), so if we multiply both sides by the reciprocal or multiplicative inverse of this coefficient, then we will be left with a coefficient of 1.

Incidentally, to write fractions with $\LaTeX$, use the command:

\frac{numerator}{denominator}

and to write special characters like $\pi$, use the command \pi. :D

Apr 2014
Holland
Ehmmm Latex? I said I love you but I think your moving to fast :p Jk. Thanks for your help mark. I am gonna continue with my homework. You help me get one step closer to my goal of being a supervisor in construction!

I'll be back!

Mar 2014
\(\displaystyle \boxed{r\,=\,\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{4\pi}}\,=\,\sqrt{\frac{A}{4\pi}}}\)

Mar 2014
. . . \(\displaystyle =\,\boxed{\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{A}{\pi}}}\)