Has data on physics soared?

May 2015
Arlington, VA
It seems to me that in the past twenty years its "subfields" have multiplied the information available on physics several-fold, due to input from China, specialization in the West, micro/macro research and computer-based studies.

Do you think my observations pan out?

Benit13

Math Team
Apr 2014
Glasgow
It seems to me that in the past twenty years its "subfields" have multiplied the information available on physics several-fold, due to input from China, specialization in the West, micro/macro research and computer-based studies.

Do you think my observations pan out?
It's mostly due to computers being able to store much more data at a lower cost. The other factors... not so much.

v8archie

Math Team
Dec 2013
Colombia
Yeah, I read the other day that one team (scanning the Milky Way if I recall) are dealing with 6 terabytes of data every day.

Edit: I can't find the article, but I did find this: https://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-picked-up-15-mysterious-radio-signals-from-a-distant-galaxy
These latest signals were picked up in the early hours of Saturday 26 August, by the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia, which was pointed at FRB 121102.

Over a five-hour period, the instrument recorded 400 terabytes of data across the entire 4 to 8 GHz frequency band.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people