Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas

did you try using the given hint?

SDK

Sep 2016
USA
Based on the question you are:

1. Too lazy to even bother pretending this isn't just a straight up request to do your homework for you.

2. In a calculus class.

3. So far from understanding the material that you can't even follow the hint which turns the entire problem into a middle school level algebra problem.

I can't help but think that (3) is related to (1). Anyway best of luck when retaking the course.

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
Did you arrive at a solution?

To solve the equation ...

$a = \dfrac{1}{2}\left(a + \dfrac{2}{a}\right)$

... for $a$.

I'd start by multiplying both sides by $2$ in order to clear the fraction $\dfrac{1}{2}$.

Next, I'd find a common denominator to combine $\left(a + \dfrac{2}{a}\right)$ into a single fraction.

Give it a go from there and post your working ...

Reactions: 1 person

skipjack

Forum Staff
Dec 2006
I've moved this to Algebra. It's a good idea to let us know why you're stuck, especially when a hint has already been provided. For example, did you understand the wording of the problem? Do you know that "sequence" and "series" have different meanings?

Each term in the sequence is the average of two positive terms, and is therefore positive. Does that matter?

Using the hint given, and multiplying both sides by $2a$ (to clear both fractions), gives $2a^2 = a^2 + 2$, which implies $a^2 = 2$. Now what?

Similar Math Discussions Math Forum Date
Calculus
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Calculus