math team needed for programming community

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
Cool site. I just signed up and started solving problems.

Some of the problems are hard to understand, though; it's not clear in #4 that you mean twin primes, for example.

Sep 2009
thanks for checking the site.

yeah, I am just one person doing the job. thats why I need a team. to get feedback and double checking.

Sep 2009
well,
I am checking your progress.You seem to be fast. I bet you have alot experience from projecteuler.
Can you help me develop and promote the site?

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
OK, I finished. :D

Maybe I can help you. What's the plan?

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
I submitted this:
All numbers can be written as the sum of four squares: n = a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2. Every even number greater than 2 is believed to be the sum of two primes. It is interesting to consider which forms represent all, or almost all, numbers.

Every odd number between 7 and a million can be expressed as the sum of a prime and two even powers of two (that is, p + 2^a + 2^b with p prime and a and b positive). But there are infinitely many odd numbers not of this form! Find the first example.

765 = 253 + 2^9 + 2^1 and 253 is prime, so 765 is not the answer.

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
I also sent along code to check the answer. I didn't try it; I just coded it and hoped it worked. The basics are simple enough.

As with essentially all math problems, I recommend doing this one in Pari rather than C++ or Java.

Sep 2009
Hi,
Thanks for an example,
You can submit some questions occasionally. I can pay you in return.

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
elasolova said:
Thanks for an example,
You can submit some questions occasionally. I can pay you in return.
I'd be happy to do work like that. Email me at crgreathouse (my username!) at gmail.com. If you have any preferences on what kind of questions I submit, tell me. :)

Mar 2009
Asheville, NC
Bah, Java with "BigInteger" works just as well as P... hahahh I can't even say that with a straight face. At least, not for this kind of stuff xD