Music and mathematics

edu

Apr 2009
Venezuela
Hi! I just just about to sleep and this question came to my head: how many rock/punk/in-general musicians of any band do you know that has had any mathematical background?

I once heard Slipknot drummer, Joy Jordison has it, and I know that the best skateboarder ever, Rodney Mullen, has it since he studied engineering.

So if anyones is interested lets see :D

Happy holidays :!:

Jun 2010
I totaly agree that maths and music are very related. Im a musician and I also love maths. When I started playing an instrument my grades suddenly became better, much better. And for example, notes c,d,e,f,g,a,h were calculated by pitagoras. My favorite musician john frusciante also studys maths.

CRGreathouse

Forum Staff
Nov 2006
UTC -5
Brian May of Queen left a doctoral program in astrophysics to play music. He actually finished that degree recently, many years after having started it.

edu

Apr 2009
Venezuela
Frusciante studies math? I didnt know that! Do you know more about this?

:D

Jun 2010
Well, yes i read that a few weeks ago. But its nothing serius, he is just interested in maths thats related to music. But I don't think that he is going in some school or somewhere else, he is doing that at home alone. :D

edu

Apr 2009
Venezuela
Do you have the source ¿? I mean, the link to where you read it?

Danke!

Jun 2010
I will take a look in my history and pm it to you :). I hope i will find it

Jan 2011
I'm a pro-amateur music player and I'm a software designer as a profession.
Music and math go very well together. I'm a keyboard/synth player, and there are several topics regarding music I benefit from math/logic:
- Building up chords is very mathematical
- Basic understanding of frequencies
- 'Programming' a synthesizer with all relations, like filtering, waveforms, oscillators etc.
- Even songs are build up in a more or less mathematical way, i.e. build up with patterns (with the chorus/verse/bridge)

May 2011
michelkeijzers said:
I'm a pro-amateur music player and I'm a software designer as a profession.
Music and math go very well together. I'm a keyboard/synth player, and there are several topics regarding music I benefit from math/logic:
- Building up chords is very mathematical
- Basic understanding of frequencies
- 'Programming' a synthesizer with all relations, like filtering, waveforms, oscillators etc.
- Even songs are build up in a more or less mathematical way, i.e. build up with patterns (with the chorus/verse/bridge)
There is a fantastic prog SNDRAW on QB64 (free download on Google) that lets you make your own sounds of any kind - from maths or otherwise. And a great forum discussing things.
I am using it to design novel musical instruments from computer simulations of the physics/acoustics. You can thus answer all "And what would happen if...." design questions as we do at Tintone Guitars and Black Guitars in Stoke Newington, London

Apr 2007
Music
1. USA
1.5. Mexico
2. South Korea
2.5. Japan
3. Italy
3.5. France
4. China
4.5. Singapore

Mathematics
1. China