x-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2018
Spain
I need to see the working.

Jun 2019
USA
You can rewrite it as \(\displaystyle \lim_{y\to 0} \frac{\ln(1+y)}{y}\) (by no means necessary, I just find the expression simpler that way).

I would then use l'Hôpital's rule.
\(\displaystyle \lim_{y\to 0} \frac{\ln(1+y)}{y} = \lim_{y\to 0} \frac{\frac{d}{dy}\ln(1+y)}{\frac{dy}{dy}} = \lim_{y\to 0}\frac{\frac{1}{1+y}}{1} = 1\)

Sep 2018
Spain
limits

Wow, that was great! Thanks man. The l'Hôpital's rule, isn't that learnt in derivatives? I’ve never seen that method before. I just started limits.

greg1313

Forum Staff
Oct 2008
London, Ontario, Canada - The Forest City
\(\displaystyle \log\left[\lim_{y\to0}\left((1+y)^{1/y}\right)\right]=\log e=1\)

v8archie

Math Team
Dec 2013
Colombia
\(\displaystyle \lim_{y\to 0} \frac{\ln(1+y)}{y} = lim_{y\to 0} \frac{\frac{d}{dy}\ln(1+y)}{\frac{dy}{dy}} = \lim_{y\to 0}\frac{\frac{1}{1+y}}{1} = 1\)

$$\lim_{y\to 0} \frac{ln(1+y)}{y} = \left.\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\log{(1+x)}\right|_{x=0}$$
So your method is somewhat circular. You may as well just write down the result.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2019
USA
Greg, I'm guessing that's a well-known identity? I guess it doesn't require calculus, but I'd never come up with it in a million years.

Archie, it looks like your second term and mine are the same (if you "cancel out" the /dy bits).
I know historically, I'm going backwards, but we don't need to prove l'Hôpital's rule here; I know it works, so I'm using it.

And raven, yes, it doesn't make much sense to use l'Hôpital if you haven't learned derivatives yet.

v8archie

Math Team
Dec 2013
Colombia
It's not about proving l'Hôpital.