Ordered set (1,2)<<(3,4). But how to write if 1st set contains a single object only?

May 2016
Wageningen, The Netherlands
To denote the relation between sets, I can write (1,2)<<(3,4) to say that each object in the first set is smaller than each object in the second set. Or does it only mean that 1<3 and 2<4?

Now my questions:
  1. How do I write the relation between set {1} and set (3,4)?
  2. How do I write the relation between (1,3) and (3,4)?
  3. Does the above notation only hold for ordered sets, or also for unordered sets like {a,b}<<{c,d}, where a>b or a<b and c>d or c<d?
For question 1 I belief the answer is {1}<(3,4). For question 2 I belief the answer is (1,3)<(3,4). For question 3 I belief the answer is that the notation also holds for unordered sets.
Looking forward to hearing your answers.

Best,
Thomas

Reactions: 1 person
May 2016
Wageningen, The Netherlands
I should maybe add to question 3 that I am aware that I can write the relation between {a,b} and {c,d} as min{a,b}<min{c,d}. However, I'd like to know if this can also be written as {a,b}<<{c,d}.

mathman

Forum Staff
May 2007
There is universally accepted definition for the kinds of sets you are describing. The author would need to define it precisely.

Country Boy

Math Team
Jan 2015
Alabama
I believe Mathman meant to say "There is NO universally accepted definition for the kinds of sets you are describing."