Please help me solve this problem

topsquark

Math Team
May 2013
The Astral plane
Have you tried graphing the function for specific values of x? That's where I'd start. You can also do some first derivative work, but I'd start with the graph. (ie. Find the derivative of \(\displaystyle \dfrac{|x - y|}{x + y + 1}\) by y and set it equal to 0 to find the maximum for a given x.)

-Dan

Reactions: idontknow

SDK

Sep 2016
USA
Start here:

Feb 2020
India
Have you tried graphing the function for specific values of x? That's where I'd start. You can also do some first derivative work, but I'd start with the graph. (ie. Find the derivative of \(\displaystyle \dfrac{|x - y|}{x + y + 1}\) by y and set it equal to 0 to find the maximum for a given x.)

-Dan

-Dan
Actually, when I diffwrentiate the function w.r.t. y, keeping x constant, y just cancels out and x comes to be 1/2 as I equate its derivative to zero

topsquark

Math Team
May 2013
The Astral plane
Actually, when I diffwrentiate the function w.r.t. y, keeping x constant, y just cancels out and x comes to be 1/2 as I equate its derivative to zero
Perhaps you should show us how you did the derivative. The y shouldn't cancel out.

-Dan