Solving cubic equations using calculator

Oct 2019
planet earth
Hello everyone,
I have a polynomial Equation I want to solve using my Texas Ti-82. I have tried using (Math- Solve) and I get the first root. how can I get the 2nd and 3rd roots too?

Kind Regards

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
why not just graph the polynomial setting the proper window for x-min and x-max to see the zeros, then use the zero function located on the calculate menu ... ?

Reactions: topsquark
Oct 2019
planet earth
That's a way but I don't use graphic solutions. I am working with vibrations and dynamic behavior of materials so its more convenient for me to get the roots as numbers directly. Thanks for your answer btw.

Oct 2019
planet earth
Thank you very much I got the answer but I would really appreciate if someone could explain how to do it using Texas IT-82 since I'm going to have exam and the only allowed tool is calculator.

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
Can you provide a specific example of a polynomial equation that you want to see solved with a TI ?

skipjack

Forum Staff
Dec 2006
If the equation is f(x) = 0, and the calculator tells you that x = r is a solution, calculate the coefficients of the quadratic polynomial g(x) = f(x)/(x- r), then solve g(x) = 0.

Reactions: topsquark

mathman

Forum Staff
May 2007
If you have one root of a cubic, you can obtain the quadratic for the other two roots by synthetic division of the the cubic by the linear factor of the root you got.

Oct 2019
planet earth
Can you provide a specific example of a polynomial equation that you want to see solved with a TI ?
This polynomial equation below, I solved using TI-82 and I only got one root:
\(\displaystyle 4x^3-16000x^2+16*10^6x-3072*10^3=0\)
so got the first root as 250. How do I find the other ones, or use this root to find out other ones?

Oct 2019
planet earth
If the equation is f(x) = 0, and the calculator tells you that x = r is a solution, calculate the coefficients of the quadratic polynomial g(x) = f(x)/(x- r), then solve g(x) = 0.
I didn't get that how to apply that.