Statistical Data

Jan 2020
New Zealand
Hi,

I have a question in relation to statistical data; am I correct with the following data sets when talking about percentage points and percentages? When a client comes in, they rate themselves out of 10, then 3 months later they rate themselves out of 10 again. Am I right in calculating the figures below and what is the best way to present them? Is it better to use percentage points, as they don't go over 100%?

Scores are out of 10
ServiceInitial scoreLast scoreChangePercentage Point changePercent change
East
3.6​
5.3​
1.7​
17%​
47%​
West
4.2​
5.7​
1.5​
15%​
36%​
Average
4.7​
6​
1.3​
13%​
28%​

Feb 2020
Indonesia
This table may make your reader wondering how they could get the percentage point change. It would be much better if you showed how the reader how they could get the 17%, 15%, and 13%, which is by subtracting the percentage out of maximum score initial and last score for each east and west and their average. You should add another two columns that shows the percentage of initial score and last score out of the maximum score that shows Conversion to percentage of the initial score and last score out of the maximum possibly attained score , which is 10 for east, west and average. For example the percentage of initial score and last score of the East out of 10 are 36%(3.6/10) and 53% (5.3/10) respectively.

Last edited:

mathman

Forum Staff
May 2007
Either method will do as long as you clearly explain what you are doing.