The whole point of a forum ....

Jun 2019
uk
A few days ago I posted a question relating to the forces and moments when bending wood. The question has been viewed by many but no one has answered. Surely the whole point of joining a forum is to exchange ideas skills knowledge etc. I am not a mathematician but have a real practical issue that i would like help with. From looking at answers to other question there are clearly mathematicians on this forum to with a very high level of understanding of physics. If my question wasn't clear then challenge it etc. Replies need to be appropriate to the questioners skill level, but yet trying to help.
......I rest my case

Oct 2009
I don't see who you are complaining to. The point of a forum is that we answer what we want to answer. You can't force somebody to answer your question.

Sometimes I don't answer a question because it's too easy, or not enough effort was put it or it was just unclear, or just way too specialized. I'm not saying your question is like that, but in my experience if a question goes unanswered, it is usually because the question was bad or in the wrong place.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2016
As was said in your duplicated thread, physics forum might be a better place. For one thing, there is more traffic.

SDK

Sep 2016
USA
I can agree with the OP to some extent. However, it is worth mentioning that many people here, myself included, will not answer questions without the OP giving some indication that they have worked on it themselves or spent some time thinking about it. This is especially true if the problem looks like a homework problem.

If I reply to these sorts of questions at all, it is usually to ask what they have done already, what their thoughts are, where they are stuck, etc etc. I might give a hint or mention a topic which they should read to solve their problem. However, I'm not going to start doing people's homework for them.

I haven't seen your question so this may not apply to your situation but it is a thought. Even if what you posted wasn't a homework problem, you should check that it doesn't seem like one. If it is a homework problem, spend some time explaining what your thoughts are and what you have tried including things that didn't work.

Jun 2019
uk
Thanks for the responses,

Definitely not a homework problem, just a real practical problem I have been working on for 9 months.

so as not to duplicate I will give more details on my question posted a few days ago in the Physics forum later .

Reactions: 1 person