unit conversion

Apr 2018
Braintree MA
Hi, I have this easy equation to figure out mentally, but I am wondering the correct way to write the formula.
I am trying to figure out \$ / kBTU of propane given the below known factors. (kBTU is a unit of energy)

Known factors
Propane = \$2.96 / Gallon
Propane = 92 kBTU / Gallon

It stands to reason that I could take \$2.96 and divide it by 92 kBTU to find that propane costs \$0.032 / kBTU
What is the correct way to figure this out? How would your right this as a formula? Is there a more methodical approach to figuring this out than to figure it out in one's head?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

skeeter

Math Team
Jul 2011
Texas
Hi, I have this easy equation to figure out mentally, but I am wondering the correct way to write the formula.
I am trying to figure out \$ / kBTU of propane given the below known factors. (kBTU is a unit of energy)

Known factors
Propane = \$2.96 / Gallon
Propane = 92 kBTU / Gallon

It stands to reason that I could take \$2.96 and divide it by 92 kBTU to find that propane costs \$0.032 / kBTU
What is the correct way to figure this out? How would your right this as a formula? Is there a more methodical approach to figuring this out than to figure it out in one's head?
Thank you.
quoted message and inactivated Latex as a courtesy ...

Apr 2018
Braintree MA
Thanks skeeter.
I must admit, I do not understand what is meant "inactivated Latex" but I sure a thank you is in order.

Additionally I corrected some typos in following.

What is the correct way to figure this out? How would you write this as a formula? Is there a more methodical approach to figuring this out than to figure it out in one's head?

Apr 2018
Braintree MA
I think I figured it out.
The equation looks like...
$2.86 = 92 kbtu and then divide both sides by 92. I do not have to write " / Gallon" because the gallon cancels on both sides of the equal sign. I know this is so simple, but I'm a bit rusty in my old age. Please feel free to comment if I am thinking about this wrong.
Thank you.

greg1313

Forum Staff
Oct 2008
London, Ontario, Canada - The Forest City
The symbol "\$" renders the text following it in latex markup. Preceding "\$" with "\" prevents that.

Reactions: topsquark